Religion seen in “Sonnet, March 1791” by Tighe

In reading Tighe’s “Sonnet, March 1791,” I was intrigued and interested in the religious aspects found therein. The poem describes a lost mariner “long tossed by stormy winds,” who seeks a “calm heaven” in the Lord. As someone who grew up being exposed to church all the time, it was interesting to see the religious alignment with certain scripture passages and hymns that are presented in church. “And let me from thy paths no longer stray” alludes to the verse Proverbs 3:6 which states, “in all your ways submit to him [the Lord], and he will make your paths straight.” Tighe then describes what she will experience in heaven: “banish my sorrows” (Revelation 21:4), “holy joy,” “soft consoling peace,” “all my tears shall cease” (Revelation 21:4), “mercy’s shrine,” “thy grace divine” (Ephesians 2:4-5). Upon researching more information regarding this poem, one source claimed that since this is one of Tighe’s earliest poems, it lacks “sophistication in either meaning or style, and show little of the lyrical virtuously that was to emerge later” (Mary Blanchford Tighe: The Irish Psyche, 36). I still think it to be a poem of significance and meaning as it describes the metaphor of the lost sailor experiencing a religious search in life.